Friday, February 8, 2008

The Joys of Rowing




Rowing is a sport that has not only been a source of enjoyment for me but also a source of inspiration. One of the most important things I learnt from rowing is that mental strength is more significant than physical strength. Participating in regattas and practising on the ergometers, I realized that in the last few seconds of any race, when everyone is tired, only those who have the mental strength to push themselves beyond the limit can win. From the very first day I joined rowing, I saw that teamwork played a major role for success in rowing. The greater the coordination among the strokes of a team of rowers, the faster the boat moves. In fact, complete lack of co-ordination may even cause the boat to overturn. But there's something more than the educative values of rowing that drives me to the Bengal Rowing Club every morning. Whenever I go forward on my seat and paddle, I feel an aura of self-confidence. The immense power with which every stroke pushes against the water gives me the courage and hope to carry out each day's work. Thus rowing is something that has had a positive impact on my life.

1 comment:

Arpita said...

I have seen rowing only in films and on television. I am longing to see you row a boat...... all by yourself, or with your teammates.